Welcome to Get Planning and Architecture

Get Planning and Architecture Limited is an established practice that offers an integrated RIBA Chartered Architecture Practice with Chartered town planners. Whether you want to extend or convert your property, build a new development, change and develop your commercial premises or build a new house, we can help you.

By combining the knowledge and expertise of our professional architectural and planning team led by a highly experienced chartered planner and chartered architect we are able to offer a comprehensive package which helps guide you through the planning and architectural process and gives you the best chance of achieving your design and planning goals.

Why Choose Get Planning and Architecture?

  • RIBA (Royal Institute British Architects) Chartered Practice which means we offer a highly professional service underpinned by rigourous quality standards and a code of professional conduct
  • RTPI (Royal Town Planning Institute) Chartered Planners
  • Led by a dual Chartered Architect (RIBA) and Chartered Planner (MRTPI) - giving you an integrated service
  • Excellent architectural and planning track record
  • Joined-up, strategic thinking that means the best possible outcome for our clients

Get Planning and Architecture affiliations

At Get Planning and Architecture we pride ourselves on our competitive pricing structures. We understand that our clients all have different needs and we ensure that we attend to your individual requirements. Our team are highly qualified and experienced in a large range of projects for homeowners, developers and commercial clients. We would be pleased to show you examples of work we have already completed successfully. You can see examples by clicking on the case studies button on the menu bar above or please follow the links below to our online brochures:

Call us on 020 8770 3962 for free expert planning and architectural advice and a competitive quotation. Alternatively, click the button to send us a message.

Get a quote

What is Permitted Development?

Many extensions or alterations to buildings require planning permission, however Permitted Development, (PD) rights allow various projects to go ahead without a full planning permission from your Council. For example, a single storey extension to the rear or side of a house may be permitted providing it does not exceed certain size limitations. Similarly most internal work does not require planning permission. In almost all cases it is prudent to apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development, a certificate issued by your Council, which verifies that your development is approved under PD rights. This gives you the security of knowing that you can build what is shown on the submitted drawings and can be vital if you come to sell your house.

How do I find out the limits of Permitted Development for my property?

The Planning Portal also has a simple guide to how PD affects most properties.

  • PD rules are complex and precise details are contained the Statutory Instruments, which can be studied at www.planningportal.co.uk.
  • Significant changes to permitted development rights made by the Government came into effect on the 30th of May 2013, eg. It is now possible to extend a terraced or semi-detached house by 6m to the rear, rather than 3m, however it is vital to follow correct procedure, which requires an application to the Council, known as Prior Approval.
  • There are many reasons why your property may not enjoy PD rights and these include restrictions in Conservation Areas; the size of previous extensions; the position of your house relating to a road and planning conditions previously imposed on the property.
  • There are no Permitted Development rights for flats, it only allows extensions to houses.
  • There are significant rights which apply to the use of land and building, including extensions to shops and commercial buildings.
  • Get Planning and Architecture can give an opinion on how PD rights may assist your development and you can call us on 0208 770 3962 or email us.

What are Building Regulations and how do they affect me?

Building Regulations set health and safety standards for the design and construction of buildings. Prior to building work, an application needs to be made to either an Approved Inspector, (AI) or to your Council. Details of the process can be found on the Planning Portal and a register of AI can be found at: http://cic.org.uk. The most important issues are often structural integrity and fire safety, but regulations also refer to access by wheelchair users and energy efficiency. Enforcement action can be taken by Councils if building work is not completed in compliance with the regulations. It is wise to make an application and get approval of your detailed design before starting to build.

What is the difference between Planning Permission and Building Regulations?

In essence, there are two separate systems, both of which require separate and different applications before building work can commence. Planning regimes guide development and this results in restrictions on the use of land and buildings. Planning also controls appearance, landscaping, movement of vehicles and pedestrians and impacts on the environment as a whole. Building Regulations set health and safety standards for the design and construction of the building. It should be noted that there are other approvals that may be vital for a building project and these might include The Party Wall Act, The Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015, or Approval by Thames Water or other infrastructure provider.

Can I find out whether I will receive planning permission before I submit my application?

We often suggest that formal pre-application advice be obtained from the Council. This is in cases where the outcome of a planning application cannot easily be predicted, because policies can be complex, (eg restrictions on the conversion of houses to flats). Outcomes vary from one location to another. Whilst a Formal Pre-Application does not provide a definitive answer about whether or not an application will be approved, it can give a strong indication. Pre-application advice means a dialogue with Council planners about your plans and the Council give written advice about whether what you want to do is likely to be approved, including any aspects of the application which may lead to a refusal. Get Planning and Architecture have experience in all London Boroughs and if you contact us we can give an opinion on the benefit of a formal pre-application process for your project.

What are Use Classes and how do they affect my project?

Changing the use of building usually requires planning permission. Shops, restaurants, houses, offices and leisure facilities, for example, all come under different Use Classes and to change one into another, even if this involves minimal building work or design modification, means that you must submit a planning application to the council. Use classes often change so it is worth checking the Planning Portal at www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/9/change_of_use.

Should I be worried about enforcement?

Yes, because the penalties can be severe, including a requirement to demolish what you have built and even to pay back rental income or other money to the Council. If you build something you don€™t have planning permission for you may be contacted by a planning enforcement team who will normally start by giving you a Planning Contravention Notice, (PCN). If you receive a PCN, or, more importantly, an Enforcement Notice, (EN), it is strongly recommended that you contact us at Get Planning and Architecture so we can advise you on the options available to you, including what happens if you do nothing. Enforcement Notices can be appealed, a service which Get Planning and Architecture can also provide.

What is CAD?

This stands for computer aided design and this is drawing plans using the latest computer aided technology.

end faq


Information about London and the South East

London boroughs mapPlease click the links below for detailed information about the area you are interested in. Each area is unique so we have provided information about local history and geography, current planning and development news, conservation areas and planning authority contact details. We have covered most of the London Boroughs and will add more.

Barnet (31) | Brent (12) | Bromley (20) | Camden (11) | City of London (1) | City of Westminster (2) | Croydon (19) | Ealing (13) | Enfield (30) | Greenwich (22) | Hackney (9)  | Hammersmith and Fulham (4) | Haringey (29) | Harrow (32) | Hillingdon (33) | Hounslow (14) | Islington (10)Kensington and Chelsea (3) | Kingston (3) | Lambeth (6) | Merton (17)Lewisham (21) | Richmond (15) | Southwark (7) | Sutton (18) | Tower Hamlets (8) | Wandsworth (5)

Surrey NumberedWe are also adding the areas in SE England. Initially we have areas in Surrey.

Elmbridge (5) | Epsom and Ewell (9) | Guildford (6) | Mole Valley (8)Reigate (10) | Runnymede (2) |Spelthorne (1) | Surrey Heath (3) |Tandridge (11) | Waverley (7) | Woking (4)

Joomla Templates
Affordable website solutions from websitecraft.co.uk
Legal |Privacy & cookies |Login-logout |Webmaster |Site map
Copyright © 2012-2015 Get Planning and Architecture Ltd & Get Planning Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Royal Institute of British Architects
Living Wage Employer
Architects Registration Board
Royal Town Planning Institute
Two Tick Disability Employer
Organisation for Responsible Businesses (ORB). Responsible Business Member

020 8770 3962   email